Information about sun damage
Protect your VR headset from sunlight
With all VR headsets, but especially with Standalone headsets, such as the Oculus Quest 2, it is vital to keep the glasses out of the sun at all times. Even the smallest rays of sunlight that are aimed directly at the lenses of the VR glasses can cause a burn mark on the lenses. These spots can be recognized by a (often) dark dot surrounded by a light circle. In some cases, the burn is so bad that it even appears to be a large smeared spot.
Unfortunately, sun damage, just like fall and water damage, usually falls outside the standard warranty that you have on a product. Therefore, make sure that you never have the headset (and especially not with the lenses!) in the sun or facing the sun. This way you prevent unnecessary damage to your VR headset.
Sun protection accessories
The best way to protect your VR headset from the sun is, of course, to never use the headset outside or in direct sunlight (in many cases this will not help the tracking either). If you nevertheless decide to use the VR headset outdoors, always make sure that you never put the VR headset away with the lenses towards the sun.
The following accessories are recommended to protect the lenses of your VR headset:
- VR Lens Cover (for Oculus Quest and Oculus Quest 2)
- Hard Shell Travel Case (for Oculus Quest and Oculus Quest 2)
- VR Lens Protector (cut to size)
Follow these tips to protect your VR headset
- Never put your headset in direct sunlight to avoid damaging the lenses and screen. Your headset can be permanently damaged by exposure to direct sunlight for less than a minute.
- Do not place your headset near sharp objects (such as cable ends or keys) to avoid scratching the lenses.
- Be careful when adjusting the headset or straps to avoid damaging them.
- Do not use or wear the headset while it is connected to the power adapter or charging.
Prevent general damage
- Never place your headset in extremely hot places (such as in a car).
- Never place your headset near heat sources (such as a stove).
- Never leave your headset near pets or small children.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke near your headset.
- Keep your headset in a safe place when not in use.